A Pottage from Morocco
Ingredients: (Serves 4)
- Sadaf All Natural Crushed Tomatoes 260gr. 2 units
- Lamb or beef stew meat, chopped into small pieces ½ pound
- Turmeric ½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon ½ teaspoon
- Butter 25 gr/1 oz (You may use 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil instead if you wish)
- Chopped corianders 4 tablespoons
- Chopped parsley 2 tablespoons
- Onion (Finley chopped) 1 medium
- Yellow or red split peas ¼ cup
- Garbanzo beans ½ cup (It must be soaked in water from the night before or you may use 1 can of Sadaf Garbanzo beans instead)
- Small onions 4 pieces
- Vermicelli ½ cup
- Salt and pepper Add to taste
- Lemon 4 slices
Mix meat, turmeric, cinnamon, butter or grapeseed oil, chopped corianders, chopped parsley, and chopped onions in a medium size pot and warm the mix on medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add the garbanzo beans, split peas, salt and pepper, and 2 ½ cups cold water to the mix. Put the lid on and leave it to cook for 1 ½ hours.
Add the small onions and cook another ½ hours.
Add vermicelli and cook 7 to 10 more minutes.
Pour and serve the pottage into a bowl or 4 smaller bowls and make sure each bowl has its one small onion, and garnished with lemon slices.