Stew with yellow split peas and meat (Makes 6 servings)
- 2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. Stew meat (lamb, veal or beef) cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 TBSP. Oil
- 4 whole dried Persian limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 TBSP. Tomato paste
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into slicks
- 1 cup oil for deep frying
- 1/3 cup yellow split peas
In a large non-stick pot, brown the onions and meat in 3 tablespoons oil. Add dried Persian limes, salt, pepper, turmeric. Saute for 2 minutes longer. Pour in 1 1/2 cups water and the tomato paste then bring to a boil, cover and cook for another 45 minutes.
During this time fry the potato sticks in 1 cup of oil, drain on a paper towel and set aside.
Cook yellow split peas in 2 1/2 cups of water and 1/4 teaspoon salt for 30 minutes. Drain and add to pot..
Check to see that the meat and peas are tender. Taste the stew and correct seasoning.
Just before serving, arrange the French fries on top. Serve with steamed white rice.