Celery Khoresh with meat (Makes 6 servings)
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. Stew meat (lamb, veal or beef) cut in 1″ cubes
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon numeric
- 5 stalks celery, washed and cut into 1 inch lengths
- 3 cups chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
In a large pot, brown onions with meat in 3 tablespoons oil. Add salt, pepper, turmeric. Pour in 2 cups water. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 meals.
In a non-stick frying pan, fry the chopped celery in 3 tablespoons oil for 10 minutes, sliming occasionally. Add chopped herbs and fry for 10 minutes longer.
Add the mixture of celery and herbs, and lime juice to the meat. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours longer, or until the meat and celery are tender.
Taste the stew and adjust seasoning accordingly. Serve hot with steamed white rice.