Rice Meatballs (Makes 6 Meatball)
- 1 cup rice, cleaned and washed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, peeled and grated
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. Ground meat (lamb, veal or beef)
- 2 cups fresh or 1/2 cup dried parsley
- 1 cup chopped fresh or 1/4 dried dill
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or 1/4 dried dill
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or 2 TBSP. Dried savory
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh or 1 TBSP. Dried tarragon
- 2 cups chopped fresh or 1/2 cup dried chives or scallions
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 fresh time juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
Cook rice in 2 cups water with 1/2 teaspoon salt for 20 minutes over medium heat. Drain any excess liquid, and set aside to cool.
Into a mixing bowl, add 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, grated onion, ground meat, parsley, dill, savory, tarragon, chives or scallions and rice. Mix the mixture thoroughly for about 5 minutes until it reaches a smooth paste consistency.
In heavy pot, brown the 2 sliced onions in the oil. Add tomato juice, water, beef broth, lime juice, turmeric, and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil.
Shape meat paste into balls the size of an orange. Gently piace the meatballs into the boiling pot of broth. Cover partially and simmer gently for 45 minutes over low heat, basting the meatballs occasionally with the broth to prevent them from drying out.
Cover and cook for 15 minutes longer. Place the meatballs in a bowl and gently pour the pan sauce on top. Serve hot with bread.