Zereshk Polow – Saffron Rice with Barberries
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 1 cup Sadaf basmati rice (Item # 21-4128)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dried barberries (zereshk) (Item # 13-0112)
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tbsp Butter (divided)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (Item # 40-6020)
- Pink Salt (Item # 17-1727)
- Sadaf Saffron Spray (Item # 11-1395)
- Clean and wash 2 cups of rice 5 times in warm water and drain.
- Take 1/2 cup of Barberries and soak them in cold water for 10 minutes, drain in a sieve, rinse and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Grapeseed oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the Barberries and 1 teaspoon of sugar and stir fry for 20 seconds (the Barberries can burn easily; be careful).
- In a large non-stick pot that has a tight fitting lid or rice cooker*, add 3 tbsp of butter, 1 tbsp Grapeseed oil and garlic over medium high heat. Saute the garlic for 1 minute then stir in the rice and about 1/2 tsp of Pink Salt. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a rapid boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and put the lid on the pot to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Once done, serve rice on a platter, and spray with Sadaf Saffron Spray. Layer the Barberries on top.